Monday, November 19, 2007

Full frontal Vomit!

Many things about parenting are really great. Some things are not, one being full frontal vomiting.

Last week Alex and I had a great trip to see Uncle Milton. While being enjoyable, Alex was sick for a couple of days vomiting and sleeping very little during that time. I know I am sleep deprived and tired when I see him vomit in his sleep and just try to move him to a dry spot (the first time) after that I would just try to rearrange the blanket to a dry spot or place a new towel under him. The vomit itself didn't bother me too much as it was all breast milk, the smell on the other hand was a totally different issue.

So while it was difficult to keep my temper in check and to work so hard to keep Alex happy and not vomiting everywhere, we still managed to have a really good time. Uncle Milton offered to help with my bags for the first time in nearly 7 years so that is definitely a milestone.

Milton still loves Alex just as much, even though he doesn't listen and works to get into trouble, laughing at the face of danger (our faces as well). I don't think Milton ever loved Nick this much but at least Alex eats it up. He is actually starting to prefer the elderly when we go out, smart kid!

During the trip Alex seemed to make leaps in his cognitive abilities and now will copy many hand signals for songs or poems. It is really fun and cute.

Five little ducks went out to play. Over the hills and far away.
Mother duck said "Quack Quack Quack"
But only 4 little ducks came back.

A great shot of some birds during the trip. I also saw 3 bald eagles but Alex was sleeping and I didn't dare wake him by stopping for a shot.

While Alex was very sick and vomited on me (and the carpet, bed, chair, tile) several times, I couldn't quite say I got a Full Frontal Vomit. So after my return trip Nick decided to catch the virus and spread it all over me, the couch, the bed, the bathroom, the shower curtain, the toilet, the carpet and of course, himself.

It has been a very long two days. Sunday was particularly great. After a horrible night of sleep with Nick in the bed and vomiting, actually dry heaving about every 45 minutes, Alex woke up at the wonderful hour of 6:30 a.m. sleeping in a whole 30 minutes late. (Jeff goes to work at 6 usually). So we let Nick sleep a little longer and Alex and I went to play. After Nick woke up I made a nice strawberry and bananna smoothie. While I was making this Alex was playing by the front door with our shoes. I gave Nick his sippy cup and while pouring myself a glass I glanced by Alex and noticed a big pile of vomit or poop by one of my shoes (on it as well). I thought, "the cat is locked up, it isn't her. The dogs just got up with me, it shouldn't be them" while I was thinking this I continued to look at Alex. He is covered in poop from head to toe with paper stuck on his butt and leaves stuck on his shirt. His diaper apparently exploded from the back and continued out onto my shoes, Jeff's shoes and everywhere else in between. Soooo, I continue into the bathroom to clean up the little one and Nick starts to cry that his smoothie is too thick for his sippie cup, he needs a new one. So while Nick is whining and crying I put Alex in the tub and continue with his impromtu bath. Everything is a mess and smelled Horrible! So after I finally finish with Alex I got Nick a new cup and Alex one as well. Not a great start but at last, it is over. Alex continued to spread his smoothie all over his outfit in about 5 minutes. I went ahead and took his clothes off and was about to start a load of laundry when Nick vomitted all over the couch (in Strawberry red!). I moved him and cleaned him up and continued to attempt to clean the couch. At this time Nick was begging and crying for more smoothie, oh no, I wasn't about to do that! So I had to take the couch cushion off to get it washed and while doing so in the garage I hear Alex screaming at the top of his lungs, not his usual whine by a painful cry. I run in to find his finger stuck in the entertainment center (usually locked) and smashed to almost nothing. I got his finger out and tried to calm him down. After contemplating rushing him to the hospital I determined it wasn't really that bad and he apparently has very flexible finger muscles that can flatten and then unflatten without a single cut!

So after getting Alex down for his nap Nick and I were just hanging out watching TV and he said he needed to poop, code for throw-up. I took him into the bathroom and just as I am about to turn him around to the toilet it comes flying out, all over me, him, EVERYTHING. So now Nick and I get to take a shower/bath. I was fine until the vomit hit me and I could smell the regurgitated smoothie! I almost lost it but controlled myself and managed to get it all cleaned up. He only threw up a couple more times that day and Alex wasn't in a horrible mood. He had been on a nursing strike for a few days and was in a really bad mood prior to Sunday so we were fortunate that he decided to eat that day so I was no longer engorged and he was no longer so hungry. Although he is still biting regularly, not as bad!

So, now we had to have our A/C repaired today and it had some major problems that required $400 to get fixed. Our A/C unit is too small for our house and we need a new one but can live off the one we have for now and for a while hopefully. We just have to get used to some serious heat at the right time of year. Tomorrow we are taking the van in to get the crunching noise checked out and hopefully it won't break the bank!

Nick didn't vomit last night and Alex is almost nursing normally and the house is actually cool finally. Perhaps the good luck will keep on flowing!


Emily Loria said...

Lorrin, Lorrin, Lorrin! I am so sorry to hear of your misfortune. Things like that tend to find us mothers once in a while-- I can remember a certian time with a little fellow (josh)running around my newly carpeted house with poop running down his legs and flecking of the ends of his heels all round my living room -- making 37 poop stains for cleanup. We all have the horror stories.-- SORRY to hear yours was so tragic. (And, right before the holiday!) Enjoy that Thanksgiving meal that requires no cooking and cleanup (jealous!) you deserve it sister.

Lorrin Wagner said...

It was pretty bad! At least he kept it by the front door where there is some tile, most of it landed on carpet but not too bad. Yesterday he did a similar thing in a restaurant high chair! Jeff and I were both there luckily and one took the kid and one took the chair. It was horrible!

redshoes595 said...

I am sitting in my chair in shock. I needed your story to put my soap opera in perspective. Thank you and I am so sorry. Glad its over now.

Lorrin Wagner said...

Heather I don't think my ordeal, as bad as it might have been, compares in any way to yours. Although I hope you at least got some amusement out of it (since I didn't get much but a funny story to tell in the future). Hopefully we will hear how you are doing soon, I am constantly checking!

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness, I am glad this day is in the past. It sounded horrible. But I am sure you can laugh at it now...hopefully!